To contact food not bombs :

  • you may email sffnbvolunteers@riseup.net
  • you can call OR text message (415) 484-3288
  • visit our serving schedule page and emailing contacts for specific days you are interested in
  • join our email list and posting there
  • show up at a serving and get directly involved

 

Advertisements

Newsrooom By The Bay mentions Food Not Bombs in its article about the displacement of people from the Mission District.

“…Food Not Bombs, a direct action group that gives free vegan meals to the homeless.

Here is the entire article:  http://intercept.newsroombythebaysites.com/569/news/569/

We always need volunteers.  More information here:  https://sffnb.org/serving-schedule/

We have updated the San Francisco Department of Building Inspection’s list of empty and abandoned buildings through March, 2019 on this webpage:  https://sffnb.org/list-of-san-francisco-empty-and-abandoned-buildings/.

Please note that this list contains the addresses from the DBI database.  We do not verify the buildings’ status.

The next update will be in early August, 2019.

If you want the complete DBI database, please contact us at sffnbvolunteers@riseup.net.

https://www.smartcitiesdive.com/news/federal-court-cities-cannot-criminalize-homelessness/552232/

A federal court ruled on April 1, 2019 it will not review a decision that cities cannot arrest people for sleeping on public property unless they have provided adequate shelter. The case, Martin v. City of Boise, was before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. The ruling could still be taken up the U.S. Supreme Court.

An earlier post about Martin v. City of Boise:  https://sffnb.org/2018/09/09/court-affirms-right-of-homeless-persons-to-not-be-punished-for-sleeping-in-public/

 

 

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fort-lauderdale/fl-ne-arnold-abbott-feeding-homeless-obituary-20190222-story.html

The article omits Fort Lauderdale Food Not Bombs, which also fought against food sharing bans.

San Francisco Food Not Bombs showed solidarity with Fort Lauderdale Food Not Bombs when it was resisting new laws criminalizing sharing free food.  Here are some reminders:

https://sffnb.org/2014/11/14/san-francisco-fnb-stands-in-solidarity-with-fort-lauderdale/

https://sffnb.org/2018/08/27/federal-court-backs-activists-who-feed-homeless-in-fort-lauderdale/

Julian Mark from Mission Local reports that BART will be installing additional benches at the SW 16th/Mission BART Plaza:

“The former District 8 supervisor [BART Director Bevan Dufty] said he caught wind of some concerns that the [ping pong] table was installed instead of more benches, but he stressed that more benches will be coming soon, as fewer benches have — so far — replaced the number that had existed before the plaza was renovated. A ‘new style’ of benches are coming,’ he said.” (https://missionlocal.org/2018/12/ping-pong-table-appears-at-16th-street-bart-plaza-for-the-people/)

Contact information:  BART Director Bevan Dufty–510-464-6095, bevan.dufty@bart.gov

Earlier coverage:

https://sffnb.org/2018/11/05/bart-downgrades-seating-at-16th-street-mission-plaza/

https://sffnb.org/2018/10/11/bart-board-addresses-16th-street-mission-street-bart-plaza/

https://sffnb.org/2018/10/08/bart-removes-benches-from-16th-street-mission-street-plaza/

 

Please read Yesica Prado’s San Francisco Public Press article, including excellent photos of SF Food Not Bombs volunteers sharing free vegetarian food:  https://sfpublicpress.org/news/2018-12/state-law-cracks-down-on-free-public-meals

Earlier posts about AB-2178:

https://sffnb.org/2018/10/17/governor-brown-signs-controversial-law-on-charitable-food/

https://sffnb.org/2018/09/21/governor-brown-signs-ab-2178-into-law/

https://sffnb.org/2018/09/14/call-governor-jerry-brown-to-veto-ab-2178-which-would-restrict-our-right-to-share-free-food/

 

On November 3rd, BART installed three concrete seats at its southwest 16th Street/Mission Plaza replacing the six or more benches it removed during a construction project in September.

Earlier posts:

https://sffnb.org/2018/10/11/bart-board-addresses-16th-street-mission-street-bart-plaza/

https://sffnb.org/2018/10/08/bart-removes-benches-from-16th-street-mission-street-plaza/

SF Examiner’s Laura Waxmann photographed the new seats on November 3rd.

These newly installed seats are smaller and less comfortable than the proper metal benches with backs that BART removed in September.  Here is a photo from the BART website (https://www.bart.gov/news/articles/2018/news20180905) that shows the old benches.

The old benches were wonderful; nothing was wrong with them at all. Most importantly, the plaza had at least six of them compared to the three replacement seats.

Instead of improving public amenities, BART is moving backwards at the SW 16th Street/Mission Plaza, from the iron age to the stone age.

BART’s recent renovation of this plaza, including the cruel downgrading of seating, occurred without public notification or discussion.  In fact, the only update about the benches came from BART Director Bevan Dufty’s private facebook account, viewable only to people logged into their facebook accounts.

Please contact the following people to try to get adequate and at least equivalent replacement seating at the SW 16th Street/Mission BART Plaza:

BART Director Bevan Dufty–510-464-6095, bevan.dufty@bart.gov

BART staffer Molly Burke, molly.burke@bart.gov

SF Supervisor Hillary Ronen–415-554-5144, Hillary.Ronen@sfgov.org

 

 

Katherine Hamilton of the East Bay Express covers Governor Brown’s recent signing of AB-2178, which requires groups like Food Not Bombs to register as limited service charitable feeding operations and to pay a fee to the local enforcement agency.

You can read the article here:  https://www.eastbayexpress.com/WhatTheFork/archFives/2018/10/16/brown-signs-controversial-law-on-charitable-food

Earlier posts:  https://sffnb.org/2018/09/21/governor-brown-signs-ab-2178-into-law/

https://sffnb.org/2018/09/14/call-governor-jerry-brown-to-veto-ab-2178-which-would-restrict-our-right-to-share-free-food/

From Hamilton’s article:

“Food Not Bombs will hold meetings at Omni Commons in Oakland on Nov. 10, 11, and 12 to discuss a statewide response to the new law.”

According to the SF Examiner (http://www.sfexaminer.com/bart-quadruple-power-washing-mission-street-stations/), the BART Board of Directors addressed the status of the 16th Street/Mission Street Plaza at today’s meeting.

Some consternation arose from the homeless community when BART removed benches at 16th Street station during cleaning efforts in September.

Dufty, however, delivered some more news Thursday directly addressing those concerns — the benches will return Nov. 1, he said.

“BART staff knows this is important to me and Supervisor Hillary Ronen,” Dufty wrote on Facebook. “My values would not allow the removal of seating areas from people who are vulnerable or just needing a place to sit.”

Once again, here is the contact information for the elected officials for the 16th Street/Mission Street Plaza:

BART Director Bevan Dufty–510-464-6095, bevan.dufty@bart.gov

SF Supervisor Hillary Ronen–415-554-5144, Hillary.Ronen@sfgov.org

In addition, the most relevant BART staff person is Molly Burke, molly.burke@bart.gov

Earlier coverage:  https://sffnb.org/2018/10/08/bart-removes-benches-from-16th-street-mission-street-plaza/

Without public discussion or advanced notice, BART closed most of the southwest 16th Street/Mission Street Plaza from September 10, 2018 to September 20, 2018 for construction.  The reported purposes of this project were to resurface and to deep clean the plaza.  BART removed the approximately six benches from the plaza and has not reinstalled them, denying people places to sit in a public space.

San Francisco Food Not Bombs shares food in that plaza every Thursday at 6 PM.  Please join us for a delicious, vegetarian (usually vegan) meal:  https://sffnb.org/serving-schedule/.

The San Francisco Examiner covered the cruel removal of the benches:  http://www.sfexaminer.com/16th-mission-bart-cleanup-results-loss-benches/.

According to elected BART Director Bevan Dufty, BART will install new benches by November 1, 2018.  Dufty announced this time frame in a posting on his Facebook page, viewable only to people logged into their Facebook accounts.  Why is an elected official disseminating information that should be universally available exclusively through a private website requiring log in access?

Will BART actually replace the benches?  Was their removal part of the ongoing, cynical campaign by public agencies to force poor people from public spaces? Why did BART order the new benches too late for their immediate installation at the time of the reopening of the plaza?

Several years ago, the SFMTA permanently removed public seating from its plaza at the Castro Street Muni station.  Likewise, the SF Recreation and Parks Department permanently closed the McCoppin Hub park in early 2017.  Its status is unchanged since our last postings about that shameful fiasco:  https://sffnb.org/2018/03/03/demonstration-gardens-relocate-to-still-closed-mccoppin-hub/ and https://sffnb.org/2017/11/24/mccoppin-hub-indefinitely-locked/.

Stay tuned.  Please contact the following relevant elected officials to hold them accountable and to insure the replacement of the benches at the SW 16th Street/Mission Street BART Plaza:

BART Director Bevan Dufty–510-464-6095, bevan.dufty@bart.gov

SF Supervisor Hillary Ronen–415-554-5144, Hillary.Ronen@sfgov.org

Servings

Note: Servings may cancel in the event of rain

TUES: none try curry without worry – UN Plaza @ Hyde St – 5:30PM

THURS: 16th & Mission – 6:00PM

FRI: Market & Hyde – 7:00PM

Contact Us


Join our fantastic Email List!

Email:
sffnbvolunteers@riseup.net
CALL OR TEXT
(415) 484-3288

July 2019
M T W T F S S
« May    
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031  
Advertisements